June 7, 2013

Hawaii (Big Island) Photo Diary

My time on the Big Island of Hawaii is starting to feel like a distant memory so I figured I'd better get this photo diary up before that actually becomes a reality. Besides, looking at these photos brings back some very happy memories!


Each day of our vacation was an adventure as there was always something different to see and do. For example, our trip to the Green Sands Beach  (one of only two in the world). The hike/walk to get there took us across some interesting terrain that looked a bit like Mars... or what I imagine Mars to look like anyway.


Once we arrived, we had to climb down the rock side to get to the beach. See that green patch in the centre of the bay? That's where it was!


In the same area, we visited South Point, aptly named because it's the southern most point in the United States.


Of course, Hawaii also has the typical white sand beaches where we spent a lot of time lounging and swimming in the bright blue waters. I particularly loved Anaeho'omalu Beach, located in the Waikoloa area.


On a different day, we paid a visit to the Punaluu Black Sand Beach since I'd never seen one before.


My boyfriend and I visited quite a few snorkeling spots around the Island as well. Our favourite was right by Pu'uhonua Honaunau National Historic Park, which was a place of refuge for ancient Hawaiian law-breakers.


This Big Island is also home to an active volcano, KÄ«lauea. Unfortunately it was raining when we went but it was still cool to see all the steam emanating from the volcano's active centre.


Because of the volcanoes, the Big Island has some very diverse landscapes, from fields of black lava rock to rolling pastures. Other parts (like the Pololu Valley Overlook) are covered in lush, green rainforest.


Since Kona Coffee is world-renowned, high on my to-do list was a plantation tour. We ended up going to Hula Daddy where we learned all about how coffee is grown, picked, and roasted.


And of course, every night we made sure to stop and watch the sunset. Such a simple activity, but it was one of my absolute favourite things to do.

22 comments:

  1. such beautiful pictures! i love hawaii & have yet to visit the big island! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Maui pictures made me super jealous - that's next on my list!

      Delete
  2. I love these! Such a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I still haven't gone to Hawaii :( It needs to happen in the next year though lol. These pictures make me want to go there immediately.

    xo Azu

    www.raven-locks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That black sand beach looks so cool!! Beautiful pictures! I can see why people visit Hawaii multiple times a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I totally would if I could afford it, haha!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures Alison! Looks like you had an amazing holiday and your photographs have certainly captured the magical scenery in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah wow these pictures are so so beautiful! it looks so magical
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. adore the photo of you w/ the black lava rock in the back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment earlier! :) Your pictures are amazing and I was browsing through some of your posts and you are a beauty! Love your style and I want to be on vacation by looking at all your gorgeous photos!

    New follower now and hope you will stop by again soon! xx Pip

    Easy Outfits by Pip

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 09, 2013

    This is beautiful!
    Beautiful Blog!
    Check out my blog?
    http://kellyanngonsalves.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allison! Your photos are incredible! :) I am jealous of your Hawaii island experience. Hope to visit the lovely island soon :) Thanks for visiting and commenting my site cos I found yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely looks like a place with incredible natural beauty! Hawaii is definitely very high on my destinations to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pics are incredible amazing!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, such beautiful photos! Looks like you had a fantastic trip. I would love to visit Hawaii one day.

    xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you saw, felt, and experienced so much! What a beautiful trip!
    I NEED to plan a trip to Hawaii ASAP!

    <3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow it looks so gorgeous! I have always wanted to go to Hawaii but have yet to go, your photos make me wanna travel there even more!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's so cool! great! :)

    Have a nice day :)))
    xx

    www.ireneccloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ... and i always wanted to go to hawaii. :-)

    very nice pictures

    best wishes, laukizia

    www.laukizia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos! I currently own a vacation home there. I loved staying there but unfortunately the roof is in disarray from a severe storm a couple months ago. It's being repaired by some roofing contractors in Hawaii. I'm glad that they're almost done, I should be able to go back there by August. I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! Thank you for sharing my Hawai'i! ^_^ Next time you should try going to Hilo (town). Or go to Maui to go see Haleakala ^-^ and the lavender farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had been able to go to Hilo... it was such a long drive and we didn't have enough time! Maui and Kauai are next on my list!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.