July 2, 2015

Budapest: City and Architecture

Budapest has been on my bucket list for a few years and having now been, I cannot recommend it enough. In fact, it's definitely on my list of the top 5 favourite cities I've ever visited (and I've travelled a lot). There was so much to do and see that I found myself wishing I could stay longer but even still, I think we managed to pack a good mix of sightseeing and activities into our time there.

Since there are so many photos, I've decided to split my vacation re-cap into different parts. This first part will focus more on the city itself and all of the gorgeous architecture. Seriously, how beautiful is this place?

(First view from atop Gellert Hill, second from atop Buda Castle)

Numerous bridges cross the Danube, connecting the hilly Buda with the flatter and more bustling Pest. Perhaps the most iconic is the Széchenyi Chain Bridge with its guardian lions on one end, but I also loved the Liberty Bridge.


On the Buda side, one of the most popular attractions is Buda Castle. This historical castle and palace complex is huge and we spent hours roaming the grounds. We also had to take a ride on the Castle Hill Funicular, which seems to have served as inspiration for the one in "The Grand Budapest Hotel."


Budapest has an incredibly rich history being the second capital of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and as you can imagine, is home to a number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. I personally loved admiring all the historical buildings, of which there are many. Just a few, for example: the Hungarian Parliament Building, Dohány Street Synagogue, and St. Stephen's Basilica.


There are, of course, spots of nature for people to enjoy as well. We spent some time roaming around the City Park, which I mentioned in this post, and also paid a visit to Margaret Island. This small island is located in the middle of the Danube and accessible by bridge. We decided to rent this hilarious mini peddle car which we rode around the island, stopping to check out the ruins and gardens along the way.


Unfortunately I was unable to include all the sights in this post (it would be so long and take a million years to load). Stay tuned for my next re-cap where I'll share some of the other things I got up to -- think eats, drinks, and other fun!


P.S. Although I spent 5 days in London before I headed to Budapest, I will not be doing a re-cap since I did one a few years ago (check it out here if you're interested). To be honest, most of my time in London was spent visiting family anyway, but I did manage to catch a showing of The Book of Mormon and viewed the absolutely breathtaking Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty Exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum. If you get a chance to see Savage Beauty, you absolutely must go.

5 comments:

  1. beautiful city! Budapest is also one of the places that has been on my bucketlist for a while, hopefully soon :D

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say your pictures make me want to cross it off my list sooner than later!

    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a stunning city, i have a list of european cities i want to visit as long as my arm and budapest is right at the top!! x
    natasha // eyebrows, inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many cities in Europe I still want to visit... clearly I need more vacation time (and money!)

      Delete
  4. How beautiful! I wish our cities here in the U.S. were half as beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.