April 12, 2012

Tutorial: Gradient Nails (No Sponges Required)

I've posted my gradient nails on this blog before (see them in pink and green) and have been meaning to do this tutorial for ages. I had initially wanted to make a video but alas, I have no idea how to film/edit... so I hope this pictorial will help explain things!

My version of the gradient nail look doesn't require sponges like many other tutorials; however, you will probably need some patience at the beginning as there are lots of polishes and multiple layers involved. Here is the final look:


To start off, you will need 4 nail polishes (or 5-6 if you count base coat and top coat). Your base colour must be semi-sheer and light (I am using OPI Tijuana Dance?). Your 2 next colours must be in the same colour family going from a light colour to a darker one (they make up the gradient). For this tutorial, I decided to go with blue. My middle gradient colour is Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe and my tip colour is Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Navy Baby. Lastly, you will need a glitter top coat to help conceal the harsh lines between each layer of polish. Here I am using Revlon Galaxy Top Coat.


To explain this tutorial, I will be referring to the names of the polishes I used to avoid confusion. Just substitute whatever polish colours you are using accordingly.

1. Paint on a base layer of Tijuana Dance? and let dry.
2. Paint a layer of Across The Universe from the tip of your nails to 3/4 of the way down and let dry.
3. Layer Tijuana Dance? on top of Across the Universe to conceal the harsh lines and let dry.


4. Paint the tips of your nails with Navy Baby and let dry.
5. Layer Tijuana Dance? over Navy Baby to conceal the harsh lines and let dry.
6. Layer the entire nail with Galaxy Top Coat to conceal the harsh lines between each gradient colour.


7. Brush on top coat, and you're done!

NOTE: Once you've completed all the steps, you can play around a bit with your polish layers to get the right look. For this mani, I actually ended up layering a bit more of Across The Universe on top to blend in the colours.


I know there are a lot of steps but once you get the hang of it, I swear it's really easy to do. Let me know if you try it out for yourself!

38 comments:

  1. Thanks! I like pictures more than videos anyway since they load faster and don't move while I'm trying to study them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tutorial! I followed one with the sponges but it didn't work at all. The nail polish didn't even transfer from the sponge to my nails.

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually find sponges more annoying to work with... I'd rather stick to regular painting/polish to achieve a similar look!

      Delete
  3. So cool! I don't know if I'd be able to do this even though you've laid out the steps in such an easy way...I can hardly do one colour without messing it up haha. Loving the end result, so pretty!

    Alex xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, I absolutely need to try this asap! I have almost all the ingredients, might have to get this tijuana dance lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any light and sheer colour will do, though I am partial to Tijuana Dance? :)

      Delete
  5. oh i love gradient nails, lovely job alison :) and thank you! yes the dynemites are comfortable if you're used to high heels in the first place! my sister claimed they were impossible to walk in, but she really never wears high heels like i do :)

    romwe giveaway on my blog,

    hapatime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks amazing! Will definitely have to try it out!

    :)
    Allison
    http://afashionfiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! I should try it sometime.

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like forever since I was able to post a comment on any blogs! You have been busy, girl! Hope I'll be able to get back to "normal" blogging soon and keep up with all of your news - moving platforms, what a nightmare! I'm still not done resolving my technical issues. My bloglovin feed doesn't load. RSS feed invalid. And so on...
    I'll need your help soon for some legal stuff:) Will be in touch!
    xo

    Style Lounge

    P.S. I yet have to figure out how to re-follow your blog! Will delete my blogger profile soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So excited your blog is back (looks great even with the things you're still working out) and can't wait to catch up with you! If you delete your blogger profile, you can follow via RSS or Bloglovin' :)

      Delete
  9. oh yeah thanks for this tutorial hon :)!! i adore gradiant nails!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool nail tutorial! Love it!
    xx


    The Urban Umbrella
    xoxo


    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great!

    xoxo
    - Hope, you'll stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm obsessed! i seriously have to try this :)
    xoxo,
    tiana of l'esthetique

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cool nails! love them

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty! I like using the sponge but will definitely try this sometime when I am feeling patient ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial! I love the end result :)

    AwayFromTheBlue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty! That DL polish looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I;ve also been doing this nail style lately! LOVE IT! Super cute blog hun, Really liked it! Come by and let's follow each other! Stay in touch ;)! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. thats a lot of work but end result is worth it..love it. i am following your beatiful blog. take care.

    http://www.cactusandcucumber.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! It's such a nice detail :)

    - Victoria
    www.Vickkitas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. FINALLY! I've been trying to do gradient nails (I have so many of The New Black Ombre Nail sets), but couldnt figure out a way to do it without looking strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love those The New Black Ombre sets of yours... hope this tutorial works with them!

      Delete
  21. love this! I just did something similar but yours look better. mine looks like glitter exploded all over my nails. lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this finger nail polish...the glitter polish gives me air

    www.sheisobsessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. love it...www.sheisobsessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh thanks for this tutorial! love how no sponges are required, although instead you have to have the extra patience for all the layers and waiting around for them to dry! :P might try this though. you nails look gorgeous in the end!

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! There's no way I would have the patience to recreate this look, but I have to say, the results are really stunning! And yay for your new facebook page, you have a "like" from me :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow these nails are amazing :) it's so nice to come across another vancouver based blogger :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. lovely

    http://fashionhandglide.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow, very very nice end result indeed! i def must try this :) thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this technique, your mani came out great! I'm loving your blog girl, I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll follow me back and we can keep in touch. I love discovering new blogs!

    Sarah xoxo
    http://pandorasboxblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like the gradient look. I actually bought a little nail polish kit when I was in Taiwan that has polishes for a gradient nail, but haven't tried it with any of my other ones. Thanks for the tutorial, will try this out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow I really liked that, gotta give it a try! and LOVE your rings. Thanks for sharing!

    http://mindyspice.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.