May 30, 2012

Summer Hair Tutorial: Beachy Waves & Volume

You may have noticed that I really only wear my hair two ways: straight or curled. Lately, I've been experimenting with different styling methods within these two categories and thought I'd share how I achieve a "beachy wave" look on my naturally pin straight and very fine hair.

Here's the look we're going for:


Since heat styling is an integral part of this tutorial, start by spritzing your hair with a heat protectant. I'm currently using the Got 2B Guardian Angel Heat Protect 'N Curl Spray and Gloss Finish. My thoughts are largely the same with respect to the Got 2B Guardian Angel 475°F Heat Protect 'n Blow Out, which I've reviewed before, so read this if you want to know what I think about it.

Next, curl your hair as normal. I recommend using at least a 1.5" curling iron for looser waves.


To achieve the "beachy" look, you'll want to use a beach/salt spray of some kind. Here I'm using the Sedu Beach Beauty Sea Salt Spray which smells just like coconut, one of my favourite scents! To use, you simply shake the product up to mix it and spray all over.


I had initially hoped to use this spray as a way of creating texture when I wear my hair natural but unfortunately it does absolutely nothing except leave it feeling a little more "piece-y" than normal.  I would not recommend it if you have hair like mine (long, fine, straight) unless you are going to curl it like I've done in this tutorial. This product does have great reviews, however, so if you have a natural wave to your hair you may have more success without having to resort to a curling iron.

Once your hair has sufficiently been coated with the beach/salt spray, scrunch to create texture and loosen your curls.


To get some extra volume at your crown, spray your roots with a volumizing spray like Alterna Bamboo Uplifting Root Blast. Unlike a dry shampoo, this is a root boosting hair spray made with organic bamboo and maca root. It works best on dry hair and I have been quite pleased with the results. The only thing I'm not particularly fond of is the scent, which smells like stale men's cologne, but thankfully it wears off quickly/I stop noticing it.


Lastly, hair spray to set all your hard work. I'm a really big fan of Tresemmé Tres Two Extra Hold Hair Spray, which can be found at any drugstore and usually for very cheap. I've found it does an especially good job keeping the frizzies at bay and my curls usually last the whole day unless I get caught in the rain.


And that's it! The whole process only takes me about 10-15 minutes to complete (curling takes the longest) and I'm left with a great casual hairstyle that's perfect for the summer!


Disclaimer: I received the Sedu Beach Beauty Sea Salt Spray and Alterna Bamboo Root Volumizing Spray for review from Folica. All other products used were purchased by me. 

26 comments:

  1. oh my gosh!!! love those beachy waves!!!

    <3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I really love the beachy waves look.

    I think we have similar hair types - so I'm definitely going to look into the products you used - especially the volumizing spray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'd love to try beachy waves. I think my hair might just be long enough for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome guide. Beach waves are my favourite look! I've started putting my hair up in a bun overnight while I sleep, then tweak the waves a bit in the morning, then I'm good to go!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. These beachy waves do look great on you!

    And thank you for the tutorial! I always want to curl my hair and I love beach waves but unfortunately for me they don't usually last through the day...:-( (I'll try some of your suggestions!)

    XOXO,

    Jenny L.

    www.jensoutfitjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great hair. you look pretty! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I have very fine hair too, but it's naturally wavy so it looks bigger than it is. I've never actually used my beach wave spray after curling my hair so this is definitely something I'm going to try!

    Marisa
    http://style-rhapsody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice hairstyle! Perfect for summer.

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a great style for summer! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice tutorial! I am still having issues with using that curling iron. It's my two left hands... I am so clumsy when it comes to that stuff (and many other "creative" things).

    But, you've inspired me to give it another try. After all, practice makes perfect, right? ;-)

    xo Leonie

    DIY // Tie-Dye Denim Shorts

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've been working on my own beachy waves technique lately too- i think i'll try this one, it looks very do-able! you're all ready for summer now :) now, if only it would stop raining!

    ~Britta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your nice comment! I'm your new follower!
    Your post is exactly what I need now! Will definitely try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look awesome in curly hair dear :)

    ang-closet365.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your blog! I would love it if you would check mine out and follow! Thanks!

    http://sincerelysk.blogspot.com/
    SK

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial - love the waves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have dreams where it only takes me 10-15 minutes to curl my hair :) Of course, everyone wants different hair than they have, so I'm not complaining. This is a great tutorial, you make it sound so easy... I have a sneaking suspicision that my thick, dry hair would make it less easy, though ;)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I'm totally jealous of your thick long hair!

      Delete
  18. AnonymousJune 04, 2012

    Great tutorial!! I need to give myself some salt spray! You look awesome with those waves!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah really, only 10-15 minutes to do? Was this after some practice, b/c I don't think I'd be able to do it as fast :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, my hair is SOOO fine, it takes like no time to curl because there is so little of it. I think if I had more hair it would take much longer!

      Delete
  20. great post, love your hair <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, i've been wondering how people do wavy beach curls, now i finally know the secret!! Can't wait to try this out, thanks for sharing!! xX

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.