March 21, 2013

FASHION Magazine Beauty Panel: Day to Night Makeup

This post is my first as a member of FASHION Magazine's Beauty Panel (exciting!) and it just so happens that this week's challenge was a day-to-night one - something I've been meaning to write about for ages but never got around to.


When it comes to day-to-night makeup, my philosophy is that the day look is always the most important. Your day look acts as the "base" for your night makeup so having a strong foundation means you only need to add a few extra products before you're ready for a night on the town. This is especially useful for those of us who need to quickly transition from work to play and don't feel like adding much additional weight to our bags.


DAY

Since face and eye primers help makeup stay on longer, I always start with these. Next, I use a foundation that I know won't cake up by the end of the day and carefully select products that can be easily built upon later. For me, this means neutral eye makeup, a basic blush, and a "my lips but better" shade of lipstick.


Face
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (here)
- Laura Mercier Mineral Powder Foundation (here)

Eyes
- Urban Decay Primer Potion (here)
- Lise Watier Ombre Soufflé Suprême in Taupe Fantasia
- Vasanti Silky Eyeshadow in Brasilia
- Stila Eyeshadow in Kitten
- Annabelle Smudge Liner in Muddy
- Lise Watier Dramatique Intense 3D Volume Mascara

Cheeks
- MAC Blush in Melba

Lips
- MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick in Posh Tone


NIGHT

For going out, I tend to prefer the smokey eye/nude lip combo over the statement lip so that is what I decided to go with this time. To amp up my eye makeup, I added some black eyeshadow into my crease, black liner, and false lashes. Next, I applied highlighter for a bit of shimmer and swapped out my daytime lipstick with a pale lipstick & lipgloss combo. As you can see, a few extra products and I'm ready to go!


Eyes
- MAC Eyeshadow in Carbon
- Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Zero (here)
- Eylure Naturalites False Lashes

Cheeks
- NARS The Multiple in Copacabana (here)

Lips
- MAC Lipstick in Blankety
- NARS Turkish Delight Lipgloss (here)

Other products in my arsenal include a face powder like my favourite MAC Blot Powder or a setting spray like Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Finish, which can also come in handy to keep my makeup looking fresh all day long.

30 comments:

  1. Woo hoo - congrats on being part of the Fashion Beauty Panel - SO amazing!

    I've heard so much about the Skindanavia sprays...I usually just use a thermal water spray like Avene (so I don't have to worry about irritating/clogging my skin)...but I wonder if a setting spray would be more effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to wear setting sprays too often because I'm afraid of clogging my pores too... maybe I should give those thermal water sprays a try!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your first post Fashion magazine!!!
    I love both looks and the great thing is that they're so simple!

    xoxo
    annpaige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply stunning! Your day time look is so fresh and beautiful, the night time look is so smoky and gorgeous!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting that you're on FASHION's Beauty Panel, congrats! I love how easily you transitioned your day look to night.

    Marisa
    http://style-rhapsody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new gig, Alison! How exciting! And I love the looks you've presented... I've recently become fascinated by wearing gray/black eyeshadow during the day (although I have yet to try it, I admit) and this is great inspiration :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Alison! What a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both really nice, but the night one is more stunning.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice make up you put on, good job! Great pictures as well! Followed you with Bloglovin, hope you can do same;)
    Have a fabulous time!

    Best wishes, Alexandra
    www.svetusvet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous makeup. So excited to have it featured!
    Charlotte
    www.winstonandwillow.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhhh this is so exciting babe!!! congrats hon!! i love love this post and totes agree!! day is definitely the basis for night!! and i love love your two looks your eye makeup looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooo nice make up. I really like natural like yours. You look great. Have a nice friday.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice makeup! I love a smoky eye for night too. Though I'm pale, I just prefer darker colors on me. =P
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love day to night looks that gals do on their blogs!
    Yours is so refreshing and beautiful!
    I'm definitely going to have to try it :)
    Your skin is also FLAWLESS!

    xoxo,
    tiana of l'esthetique

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your makeup! :)
    xx
    www.zdevania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice tutorial! Following on GFC now! Hope you have a look at my blog too :)

    http://www.curlsandbags.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love both looks. The day and night :)

    GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG

    xx

    glamdevils

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both!

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great day-to-night transition! Both look really good on you.



    zubiesmusings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an awesome post! Love the easy day to night look without a hassle.
    And congrats on your first post!


    <3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves

    ReplyDelete
  20. congrats on the great post! love the subtle transition from day to night :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your night make up is definitely something I'd love to try. It's simple but gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love how you didn't go OTT its a subtle transition.

    xo Meg<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really one for OTT makeup so this is about as "crazy" as I'm willing to go ;)

      Delete
  23. Gorgeous makeup! Might have to try it out :)

    Following now, I'd really love it if you'd follow back! :)

    http://lookofcataclysm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great and easy to do too!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your idea for makeup from day to night. Usually if I put on makeup during the day and I'm going out at night, I wash off everything and re-do it. Maybe I should do a little freshening up instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too if I have the time but when I'm in a rush I just end up layering extra products on.

      Delete
  26. great photos, great blog,
    do you want follow each other?

    xoxo

    www.celyneglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.