March 6, 2013

GLOSSYBOX Canada: February 2013

In honour of GLOSSYBOX Canada's 1-year anniversary, the February 2013 GLOSSYBOX is their way of celebrating  the occasion and saying "thank you" to their subscribers.

Given the recent controversy surrounding GLOSSYBOX Canada (some subscribers received discontinued and expired products), I've been really curious to see whether the company would make any efforts to improve their boxes. It couldn't have been more timely that I recently had the opportunity to do so firsthand thanks to Vervegirl.


This month's GLOSSYBOX comes in a black box with a pink bow on the front and a repeating logo pattern on the inside. Once you remove all the products it makes a great box to store trinkets or other things in.

Now for the contents! 


1. Elite Models Intensity Eye Pencil (Full Size) - 1.1 g/$14.99
I received this in Secret Grey 02, which is a creamy black with subtle glitter. While black liners are a staple in my everyday makeup, some GLOSSIES received a Givenchy Lipgloss instead, which I would have preferred.

2. Essence Quattro Eyeshadow (Full Size) - 5g/$3.99
I haven't tried Essence before but I've seen it at Shoppers Drug Mart and it seems like a very affordable drugstore line. I was happy I received this quad in Chic-ify, which contains some wearable shades, as opposed to the purples and yellows others received in their boxes. While they apply smoothly, however, the are not very pigmented.

3. Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips ULTRA (Full Size) - 6ct/$9.99
How funny, I recently mentioned Bioré strips in this previous post! These particular ones are enriched with tea tree oil and witch hazel.

4. Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment - 30 ml/$13.50
This hair treatment claims to add moisture and nutrients for shine and increased manageability, while providing UV protection. I've heard really good things about this line but unfortunately can't use it as I'm allergic to nuts.

5. Anatomicals You Need a Blooming Shower! (Full Size) - 150 ml/$3.00
This rose and jasmine body cleanser smells great and I think the packaging is really fun.

I also received sachets of Eucerin Hyal-Urea Anti-Wrinkle Day/Night Cream and Crabtree & Evelyn Tarocco Orange Eucalyptus & Sage Ultra-Moisturizing Hand Therapy, as well as a GLOSSYBOX Cupcake Kit which is super cute.


All in all, I thought there was a good variety of products in this GLOSSYBOX and most were full size. But at $21/month, these are among the more pricey subscription beauty boxes and with mostly drugstore brands I can't help but wonder: is it worth it? 

27 comments:

  1. You know, there are so many of these types of boxes out there, and they always sound fun, but the problem is in not knowing what you'll get and potentially ending up with a bunch of things that may be great but that you still won't use. I do like the look of Ipsy - they do more make-up than skincare and have some really lovely products :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think beauty box subscriptions are better for people who aren't already drowning in unused products and who enjoy sampling different things as opposed to staying loyal to brands they already know they like.

      Delete
  2. When I saw the picture I was really impressed! But the products are all drugstore and not worth the $21 I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I agree with you. For more high-end/luxe samples I'd probably go with TopBox.

      Delete
  3. I really want to subscribe to a glossy box, I love the looks of the products and it is something to look forward to every month x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a lovely blog:)

    i have a new post on how to clean your makeup brushes
    what do you think?

    i would also appreciate it if you follow my blog too!
    christie-mariee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. you definitely received a few great things, but for $21 a month I would expect more higher end items and less drugstore!

    www.michellemariemakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does add up to more than $21 but I agree, more higher end items would be nice!

      Delete
  6. My friend got me a membership to Loose Button which is like Glossy Box and I'm pretty impressed with the selection they send although I don't know how much it costs per month because it was a birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loose Button looks great too! What an awesome birthday present.

      Delete
  7. Those are some awesome products you got there.

    xo Meg<3

    Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never gotten Glossy Box. Right now I am trying Julep and I love it. It looks like you received some great products though.

    Jessica @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Julep! Glad you're liking it :)

      Delete
  9. I have never even heard of Glossy Box, but it looks like you got some great products.

    -Haley-
    haleyvalerie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. aaaaah so nice!!
    you have a great blog!Would love to follow each other!
    Just follow and let me know!
    I alway's follow back!!!
    xx chloechante.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such an amazing blog! I definitely have to follow! keep on the good work!
    maybe you want to check out my blog too ;)

    POCKETFUL OF DREAMS

    ReplyDelete
  12. the body cleanser looks really good, may need to try it!
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think these kind of beauty boxes depend on the person using them. For someone who loves trying new things it would be worth it. However, I am someone who stays loyal to a certain product once I find that I like it the first time around. $21 is not expensive but for all drugstore products I agree, it could've been cheaper!
    Lovely post xx

    VRep,
    www.deenaalawaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same as you - loyal to certain brands/products and I tend to prefer higher end over drugstore.

      Delete
  14. Love the cupcake items! That alone would've definitely sold me, haha.

    http://www.xjole.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! I'm excited to bake some :D

      Delete
  15. I like how you put the prices next to the items. The mix itself looks like a nice variety for the subscription price, but the actual retail price...eh, I'm not too enthusiastic about it the costs there.

    Following along on Facebook now! Hope you'll give my page a look too.

    Blog | Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glossybox UK can be hit or miss, last month we had some great products previous to that was not so great. But 21 bucks seems like a lot to pay for a box of samples. I hope to be back in Vancouver soon, are there any boxes that are recommended?
    http://stepmatt.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Canadian one is Loose Button Luxe Box but it's quite pricey and only 4 boxes a year. Topbox Canada seems to be the best of the Canadian boxes (in my opinion) but I know a lot of people also order US ones that ship here like Ipsy.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.