February 22, 2015

Almay Smart Shade Butter Kiss Lipstick (Medium)

Almay launched its Smart Shade Butter Kiss Lipstick a few months ago as an addition to its already popular collection of shade-sensing face makeup. The line, designed to take the guesswork out of finding a flattering lip colour currently features 12 lipsticks in total: a pink, berry, red, and nude (4 shade categories) tailored for light, light/medium, and medium skin tones (3 skin tone categories).


Of course, despite being organized by skin tone, I don't think customers should feel limited to only 4 shades... not to mention the fact that there are many people with skin tones darker than "Medium." It's a nice guide for those who might truly be clueless about what lipstick to choose but that's all it is: a guide. In fact, although I would actually characterize my skin tone as Light/Medium, I was sent a set of the Medium shades to test out and haven't found them to be unsuitable at all. When it comes to makeup, my motto is typically "wear what you want." After all, it's always more fun to experiment!

The Medium shades are quite pigmented as you can see from the swatches below. While not particularly unique colours, I think they  make for good basics if you don't already have a go-to pink, berry, red, or nude.

L-R: Pink-Medium, Berry-Medium, Red-Medium, Nude-Medium

Where the Butter Kiss Lipstick line really shines, however, is the formula. Made with shea butter, coconut butter, and vitamin E, these lipsticks are super creamy and hydrating. On the lips, it feels like you're wearing lip balm but you get the pigmentation of a lipstick -- especially with the Medium shades. With a suggested retail price of $9.49 CAD, the cost is certainly reasonable for the quality and I bet these will go on sale sometimes too.

8 comments:

  1. Such a pretty blog! Think I'll be trying these at that amazing price. http://ashaopryhirsi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shades, although I haven't tried this brand before. Something new to look out for then :)

    Found you in one of the fashion blogs I frequent and thought I'd give you a visit. Would you like to connect via GFC or other social networks? Let me know if that is something that is of interest to you :)

    xo,
    Abby
    http://www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so pretty :) I like how they tailor the shades to suit different skin tones :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that red shade!! :D

    have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these lipsticks are great. Great brand. I checked it! :)

    I'm now following you on bloglovin. Hope you'll do the same :)

    Looking forward to see more of your posts!
    Have a nice day!

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the pink and berry swatches! Thanks for sharing!!!

    XO,
    KayElle

    www.MissKayElle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the Pink Medium! They are a lot like the Revlon Lip Butters, which I also love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its very nice lipstick!
    Regards
    nebosh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.