July 10, 2015

Budapest: Thermal Baths, Cafes, and Ruin Pubs

As a follow-up to this post, which focused more on the city and architecture in Budapest, I wanted to share a few of my favourite activities and places from my recent vacation. There is seriously so much to do and it's all pretty inexpensive, especially compared to other countries like those in Western Europe.


At the top of my to-do list was visiting the thermal baths. Budapest has been referred to as the "City of Baths" and I wanted to pack as many spa days into my trip as I could (#treatyoself). Our first was at the Széchenyi Thermal Baths, which features 18 indoor and outdoor pools. Naturally, we had to spring for the upgrade package which granted us entrance to the Pálmaház with its hammocks and complimentary fresh fruit plates.


The Gellért Baths are located in the Hotel Gellért on the Buda side of the Danube. Another famous bath complex, it's smaller than Széchenyi but known for its beautiful Art Nouveau style.


Being from Vancouver, where coffee addictions run rampant, it was nice to find that cafe culture was prevalent throughout the city and there were many to pick from. The more "hipster" include Massolit Books & Café and Café Csiga, where I had the most delicious coffee and breakfast.


We also paid a visit to Lotz Terem, a hidden gem of a cafe located in the ALEXANDRA Bookstore. Isn't the ceiling absolutely stunning?


I didn't do any shopping in Budapest aside from gifts and souvenirs (shocking, I know). However, we did check out some lovely vintage stores, like Ludovika Shop.


And, of course, a visit to Budapest could not have gone by without a sampling of their amazing nightlife. Ruin pubs are located in abandoned apartment buildings, factories, and department stores, and are outfitted with rejected furniture, crazy artwork, and other cool knickknacks. Many feature multiple rooms and are open till 6 a.m. I feel like I'm far beyond the typical clubbing age now but this was seriously the most fun I've had partying... maybe ever.

The pictures below are from Instant, a multi-room labyrinth of a club that had DJs spinning tracks in different themed rooms. So fun. We also checked out Szimpla Kert, the city's first ruin pub, and 360 Bar which is not a ruin pub but an outdoor bar located on the roof of a highrise building giving a crazy view of the city.


That's it for my Budapest vacation re-cap (can I just go back already?), but I will have one more travel diary coming up soon from my short stay in Vienna!

4 comments:

  1. looks like a beautiful place to visit *-* the coffee sounds delish!

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool city! Kinda puts Vancouver's night life to shame for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vancouver's night life is seriously the worst!

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJuly 14, 2015

    Your post has made me really want to visit Budapest! The baths and that club look awesome, and that ceiling is stunning!

    Lucy x- Yellowicing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.