August 2, 2015

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat, Duo[+], and BB Blur

Three of my summer skincare essentials this year come from La Roche-Posay, a company well-known for its dermatological innovations. You may recall that I have been using one of the brand's sunscreens, but for the past few months I have also been testing out a few products from the Effaclar line, which is designed specifically for oily skin (hello, that's me!)


Effaclar Mat ($30 CAD) is a daily moisturizer with an instant mattifying effect. At first, I found this a bit weird since I'm used to my primers acting this way -- not my moisturizers, but I have since gotten used to the sensation. With regular application, this moisturizer is supposed to tighten pores, reduce sebum production, and redefine your skin texture. A pretty lofty claim, huh? To be honest, I haven't noticed much of a change in my skin. I still have to blot throughout the day, although perhaps a bit less than usual. However, what I do like is that it makes a good base for makeup in the morning and it has not broken me out at all.

As a spot treatment, the Effaclar Duo[+] ($25 CAD) is absolutely amazing. I have been using the Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment for years but one problem with that product is that foundation can look patchy if applied on top of it. Effaclar Duo[+], on the other hand, absorbs quickly and leaves a matte finish that works well under makeup. Plus, it really does seem effective in reducing the effects of blemishes. If I apply it before bed, there is a marked difference when I wake up in the morning!

Lastly, there is Effaclar BB Blur ($30 CAD), a new product described as an "anti shine unifier" with an "instant optical effect." What exactly does that mean? Well, unlike traditional BB creams which I often find leave my skin looking shiny and greasy, Effaclar BB Blur mattifies your skin and seemingly blurs any imperfections.  Coverage is moderate; certainly not like a concealer or foundation but it's good enough for low/no makeup days. The texture is also unlike any I have ever encountered in a BB cream. It's hard to describe, but it feels almost like a mousse... light but "bubbly" if that makes any sense. Unfortunately, there is a downside. BB Blur only comes in two shades: Light and Medium. I am currently using the Medium, and although I'm more tan since it's summer, this definitely won't work for those with darker skintones.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about the effaclar duo and I have a discount voucher. I think I should, shouldnt I :p

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I so want to try La Roche-Posay at some point and these products all look so gorgeously appealing, especially the Effaclar BB Blur <3

    Sophie | soinspo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to try it soon! You won't regret it :)

      Delete
    2. Hope you get to try it soon! You won't regret it :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.