January 28, 2016

OPI x Hello Kitty Nail Polish Collection

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Hello Kitty and, in fact, it's not uncommon for me to receive numerous Hello Kitty items for any gift giving occasion (cards, balloons, Pez dispensers, first aid kits, stationery, mugs, calendars, earphones, a toaster... you name it). What can I say? I'm easy to shop for. So when I caught word of the new OPI x Hello Kitty Nail Polish Collection I knew this was going to be my dream collaboration. I mean, it combines two of my favourite things: Hello Kitty + nail polish!


OPI sent me the collection to play with and I literally could not contain my excitement when it arrived. The bottles are standard OPI bottles with their famous Pro Wide brush, but also feature a white plastic cover on the tops with a repeating Hello Kitty face pattern. Honestly, the packaging is not really that special because the plastic feels kind of cheap... kind of like the clear plastic you remove from beauty products when you open them. However, it does distinguish the Hello Kitty polishes from the rest of my OPI bottles, which is important when you own as much nail polish as I do.

Where this collection really shines (for me personally, anyway) is the names. OPI is always super creative when it comes to nail polish names but I feel they really outdid themselves with the Hello Kitty Collection. Everything is so damn cute!


Kitty White, which is Hello Kitty's full name, is a pearlescent silver-white. I'm wearing 3 coats here and it applies well, although these metallic shades aren't my favourite to wear. For some reason they just seem very "bridal" to me.


Let's Be Friends (Hello Kitty loves making new friends, obvi) is a very pale pink, bordering on white creme. It wasn't the easiest to work with but is a nice, classic colour.


Small + Cute = ♥ (argh, how cute is the name of this nail polish?) is a sweet and simple light pink. It applied pretty well considering the fact that shades this light often cause trouble and I'm only wearing 2 coats in my swatch.


Super Cute in Pink is a fun hybrid formula of creme + jelly ("crelly") which means it looks kind of squishy (but isn't in actuality). I love the colour and the effect.


Starry-Eyed For Dear Daniel, named after Hello Kitty's boyfriend, is a magenta glitter with a lot of dimension and a somewhat gritty texture. Because of this, I'd recommend a top coat not only for a smoother effect but because without one it is prone to chipping. For a glitter, the polish is quite dense and was opaque in only two coats.


Spoken From The Heart is my favourite polish in the collection. It's a bright pinky coral that I already know I'm going to be wearing a ton this summer. Plus, it applied like a dream. This is only 2 coats.


5 Apples Tall is named after Hello Kitty's height (did you know she also weighs 3 apples? ... I know, it makes total sense to me too, haha). This one has a similar formula to Spoken From The Heart, which means it applies perfectly. I'm not a big fan of red nail polish but this a really good one. It really does remind me of a juicy apple!


My Twin Mimmy, named after Hello Kitty's twin sister who wears a yellow bow, is one of the fun pops of colour in this collection. I love yellows and the application for this one isn't that bad. Just make sure to wait between coats to avoid streaks.


My Pal Joey is named after Hello Kitty's little mouse friend who just so happens to be blue. This is another standout in the collection. Application was great, and you only need 2 coats to reach opacity.


Charmmy & Sugar, named after Hello Kitty's pet cat (because she's a little girl, not a cat, remember?) and pet hamster, is an interesting foil/glitter. It reminds me a bit of some of the polishes in Essie's 2013 Encrusted Treasures Collection which I know was not for everybody. I don't mind it... it kind of reminds me of cotton candy.


Never Have Too Mani Friends! (props to OPI for this clever play on words) is a straight up solid black. Always good to have one of these in the collection but if you already have a black this is nothing special. Unless you want the special packaging and the adorable name, of course!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! SO cute. I cannot get over how adorable the bottles are!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun colours! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo cuteeee! I don't think the shades are that unique but I'd definitely want at least one for the packaging!

    Raincouver Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree... but THE NAMES! I can't get over the cuteness.

      Delete
  4. oh...my....God! These are beyond cute! I want one of each D:
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.