April 25, 2016

Suncare Essentials from Avène and Rodan + Fields

Vancouver has been getting some amazing sunny days lately which means I've been getting outside more. I was even able to go on my first hike this year (Instagram proof), which ended up being the perfect opportunity to test out some new suncare products.

First up, a new face sunscreen from Avène! I am picky with face sunscreens because they can often feel heavy or clog pores. I tend to prefer a more milky formula and thankfully the Haute Protection Emulsion SPF 50+ fits the bill.


This sunscreen is a recent addition to the Haute Protection line and features Pre-tocopheryl, a powerful antioxidant that's a pre-cursor to long-release Vitamin E, as well as Avène's famous thermal water that acts as a soothing anti-irritant. I love the tube pump which makes application both easy and hygienic, and was pleased with how well this blended into my skin.

I did get a bit shiny as the day went on but this is expected with my oily/combination skin. However, it was nowhere near as bad as some other face sunscreens I have tried in the past. I am definitely going to keep using this product as the weather heats up even more.

For my other suncare needs, I have been experimenting with Rodan + Fields, a new-to-me brand of dermatalogist-created skincare.


The Essentials Line features everyday dermatological necessities, including Lip Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 25. It's so important to protect your lips from sun damage and this balm not only contains SPF, but also moisturizing lipid molecules and peptides to help boost collagen production and smooth lip texture. The formula is nice and doesn't leave any white residue like other SPF lip balms; however, I personally find the scent quite obnoxious. I don't know how to describe it... it's citrus-y but in a really weird, somewhat unpleasant way. Thankfully it's not noticeable once actually on your lips.

The Essentials Line also includes a great Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Body Sunscreen. It's water resistant up to 40 minutes and is a very lightweight cream that blends in quickly. There's no special scent either -- this a very much a basic sunscreen, but sometimes that's just what you need.


Overall, I'd say Rodan + Fields is a rather no-nonsense "medical" skincare company that's clearly aimed at results rather than frou-frou scents and packaging. However, if you're looking for anti-aging products developed specifically by dermatologists, it's definitely worth checking out.


P.S. I also reviewed a bunch of other sunscreens last year so if you're interested in a comparison, be sure to check that post out here!

2 comments:

  1. I hate the feeling of sunscreen period I can't stand the texture. Finding ones that I actually like are like little angels singing. Neutrogena and Hawaiian tropic for their texture and formulation, how I don't mind putting them on my skin. Also they are the only 2 Ive found from the drug store that is recognized by the cancer society. I just also got my hands on a little sample of the Loreal brand too that is also nice.



    Katie | http://ktmcgworld.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. some shine at the end of the day is almost impossible not to have, but sounds like its not as bad as other products :D
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.