October 31, 2012

Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner in Calgary (& October Must-Reads)

Question of the month: What did you eat today?

I'm taking a large and liberal interpretation to this question because I've been dying to share some of the yummy places I've discovered here in Calgary. So let's imagine we're being very unhealthy and eating out for every meal "today" as I give you a run-down/snapshot tour of some new faves for breakfast, lunch, and dinner :)


BREAKFAST: Galaxie Diner

The Galaxie Diner is one of those super tiny retro 1940s-throwback diners where you can actually see the cooks grilling up your food right in front of you in their open kitchen.

In addition to delicious home-made milkshakes, they serve breakfast all-day, and you can easily get the classics or opt for a special like the Montreal Smoked Meat Hash (made, of course, with authentic Montreal Smoked Meat). The diner also offers bottomless hashbrowns. But honestly, they give you so much food anyway that it's hard to eat much more. Still nice to have the option though!

There's always a huge line (as is the case with popular brunch joints), but it moves pretty quickly and I'd say is worth the wait.

Address: 1413 11th St. SW, Calgary, AB
Website: http://www.galaxiediner.com/


LUNCH: Boxwood Cafe

The Boxwood Cafe is hands-down one of my absolute favourite restaurants in Calgary. I actually have dreams about the sandwiches here... kind of sad, haha!

Located in the restored gardens of Central Memorial Park, this cute little restaurant offers a range of sandwiches, soups, and stews made with local and sustainable ingredients. It's also got a great rustic decor and communal tables for a more homey vibe.

The Roast Bite Beef Sirloin sandwich is my favourite item on the menu (and the subject of those aforementioned dreams). It's served on fresh house-made ciabatta bread with arugala and other seasonal ingredients. So. freaking. good.

Address: 340 13th Ave. SW, Calgary, AB
Website: http://www.boxwoodcafe.ca/


DINNER: UNA Pizza + Wine

In Vancouver, fancy pizzerias have been popping up all over the place for the past few years (remember my post on Nicli Antica?), but I think I actually like UNA the best. Too bad it's in Calgary!

The restaurant's decor is modern without being overly trendy and it's a great place to come for a date or girls night.

Since I like my pizzas as plain as can be, I always opt for the Margherita. UNA's version is made with san marzana tomato sauce, fior di latte mozzarella, crushed basil, and the most delicious crust I have ever tasted. I don't know how to describe it properly but it's super crunchy and kind of buttery. Basically I could just eat the crust all day but that would probably result in a very sick and carb-overloaded Alison.

Address: 618 17th Ave. SW, Calgary, AB
Website: http://www.unapizzeria.com/


P.S. Don't forget to check out the other girls' answers to this month's question, as well as their October must-reads!

27 comments:

  1. What a fun way to answer this month's question! I don't think anyone else did it like this, and I love it! I feel like I got a little tour of your city. I love food lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a major food lover, I couldn't help it! Thought it would be a fun way of answering the question :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post. I really love eating at retro style diners!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! And the food looks so yummy!

    callmemaddie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, so delicious! Great post!

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That breakfast look so amazing. Maybe breakfast for dinner tonight...
    Love the reviews! I'm so hungry now :)

    xoxo Alison
    www.stylingmylife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loveeee breakfast for dinner. Good idea!

      Delete
  6. Love your creative answer...and I want you to come to Toronto so that we can eat our way through here LOL - I have a feeling you'd be an excellent restaurant-chooser! The pizza in the last photo looks amazing - it's crazy how the right/most authentic ingredients can make even the simplest pizzas to-die-for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually originally from Toronto, Ella! Hopefully one day I'll make it back there as I am so taking you up on that :)

      Delete
  7. Yummy Yummy -

    Love the blogger reads will have to check them out!

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pizza looks so good!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh I still can't eat a lot of things, just dairy for now, so this is giving me major cravings! All of it looks amazing :)

    Alexandra xo

    tovogueorbust.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pizza looks so good! I want pizza now!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so hungry now, definitely going for a fry up later!

    themaibug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Looks sooooo good!! And I was already hungry.. great haha!

    P.S. I've switched my blog to wordpress so I might not show up on your blogger feed anymore! You can manually add my URL to your blogger feed or Follow on Bloglovin' ..come see my new site!

    With Love From Hollywood,
    Kier
    Fashion Addict
    Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omgosh drooling over all the food pictures.. but especially that last picture.. omg that pizza looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa that food looks amazing. Stomach growling!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooooooooo i stumbled upon your blog and i have to say i love all the food pictures! they look so delicious!!! your sense of style below is great too. i love that blk&wht clutch!!


    http://jennyjiin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG DROOOOOL!! I want to go to Galaxie Diner! I've never been west of Ontario, but if I ever head to Calgary, I'd def make a pit stop. Looks and sounds so delish! Thanks for the links to all the wonderful reads!


    <3 Jo of thelittledandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Breakfast always looks so good, but I'm always sleeping in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That breakfast looks amazing, the eggs are like perefectly cooked! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yummmmm, all that food looks delicious! I'll be in Calgary in March for a work conference. Maybe we can hit up some of those places!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely feel free to hit me up for some recommendations :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.