October 22, 2012

Day Trips to Banff

One of the benefits of my temporary move to Calgary is that I now have the chance to explore what it's like on this side of the Rockies... Banff National Park, for example, is only a little over an hour drive away! In fact, due to its close proximity, I've already managed to make it up there a couple of times.

My first visit to Banff was when my boyfriend was in town and we decided to do some fun touristy things like exploring the town of Banff and taking the Banff Gondola.

Sweater: Wilfred (Aritzia) / Trench Coat: Talula Babaton (Aritzia)
Faux Fur Vest: H&M (similar) / Bag: Longchamp (here) / Sunglasses: Vogue (here)


The Banff Gondola takes you to the summit of Sulphur Mountain, a staggering elevation of 2,281 m. From the top, you get some really gorgeous views of the land below as well as six different mountain ranges. It's such a spectacular sight!


It was pretty windy up there, as evidenced by my dishevelled hair on the gondola ride back down.


My second visit to Banff was for a 4.5 hour hike from Lake Moraine through Larch Valley/Minnestimma Lakes and up Sentinal Pass. With a 725 m elevation gain, I was totally gasping for air as we scrambled up to the top (where it was both freezing and raining/hailing). 


The group I was with were pretty seasoned hikers, plus my hiking shoes are back in Vancouver so I wasn't even properly equipped. Needless to say, in spite of all my "suffering," I'm pretty proud to check this one off my list of outdoor accomplishments!

29 comments:

  1. WOw, what a beautiful place. The view of the rocky mountains and lake is just breath taking. Makes me want to pack and bags and take a trip like that soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks breath-taking! I haven't been to Banff since I was 12 so I think it might be time for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you layered the fur vest over the trench!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm kind of speechless! The view is surreal! It sort of reminds me of going up to the very top of the volcano in Maui, Hawaii. So beautiful! I love the outfit too of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Hawaii but I've always wanted to do that... bet it's gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. It looks so beautiful there! I'm glad you were able to visit!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The place looks so pretty and relaxing! Love it (:
    Nice pictures, you look beautiful!

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been to Banff once but it was beautiful. That's great that you get the opportunity to take advantage of the city now that you're in Calgary. Good for you for finishing that hike; 4.5 hours is quite the trek!

    Marisa
    http://style-rhapsody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your outfit! and your hiking outfit is cute, too! I actually really like hiking :)

    Bisous,
    Mia

    HEYLILAHEY

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all those neutral layers in that first look - so chic!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the outfit! It's been a long time since I last went to Banff. It was a long road trip from Seattle to there with my family and the sights were beautiful there. :)

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply STUNNING photos, I've always wanted to go to Banff! And I'm super obsessed with your outfit in the first two photos. Perfectly neutral and cozy :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving this post! That first outfit is stunning, love all the soft grey tones, and it looks like you had an amazing time!

    Alexandra xo

    tovogueorbust.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banff is so beautiful! I'm hoping to make it there next summer for a friend's wedding - I can;t wait to explore!

    xo danni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pictures! Stunning!
    Follow you now and it would be great if you follow me too!

    Kisses from Hong Kong,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so lucky!!! I haven't been to Banff since I was little and always say that I want to go back. I can still remember how gorgeous it was, even though I was too young (and pre-teen) to appreciate it.
    I love the fur vest over the jacket -- such a great look!!

    I'm following you on instagram now. I can't believe I hadn't found you on there before!

    xoxo Alison
    www.stylingmylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowww! Such a beautiful place!!!! I like like like it! Amazing photos! Xx

    www.itchyedgy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a fun trip! I love your fur vest!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh the photos are to die for! Amazing!

    The Purse Snatcher 

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I'm from Calgary :) Let's follow each other?

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  20. These photos are stunning! I love how you layered the vest over the trench - super cute and looks gorgeous!

    www.cbijicollection.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, so glad you've been able to make it to Banff a couple times already! Next time I'm down in Calgary we should totally meet up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must! Let me know when you're in town :)

      Delete
  22. Hi Alison, thanks for stopping by my blog! About your question on the pearls, yes you can wear them separately too :)

    xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com
    I'm having a giveaway on my blog if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and by the way, I'm a new follower :)

      Delete
  23. looks like so much fun and i love the outfits!

    xx,
    anythingwithstuds.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. gorgeous photos! really like that great vest as well xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! The views are amazing from the summit!!! I can see why you did multiple visits! Mel xx

    www.melelle.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.