December 10, 2012

Tutorial: Cupcake Nails

It's been a while since my last nail art tutorial (see my gradient nail tutorial and leopard print nail tutorial), so I'm super excited about this one... Cupcake Nails! Aren't they cute?


For this tutorial, I used a number of  products from AVON and Vervegirl, including the new Nail Art Enamel which will be available as of January 2013 through AVON Independent Sales Representatives, 1-800-265-AVON, or online. These small polishes come with a precision brush for more detailed nail designs. If you don't have nail art polishes, however, don't worry! You can just use regular nail polish with a small paint brush or a toothpick might even work for the cupcake wrapper, cherry, and sprinkles.


Before you begin to create your cupcakes, you may want to start off with a base coat. I used AVON Gel Strength Base Coat.

1. Paint your nails the base colour and let dry. 
2. Create the cupcake wrapper by drawing thin lines from the base of your nail upwards.
3. Add the icing by painting "clouds" from the tips of your nails to a little less than halfway down.
4. Dot on a cherry at the very tip of the icing.
5. Add different coloured sprinkles in a random pattern.


Lastly, finish off with a top coat to protect your hard work. I used AVON UV Gloss Guard Top Coat.

One thing to note is that this particular mani works best if you have rounded nail tips like mine. If you have square tips, you can simply reverse the cupcake orientation to have it facing out and it works great that way too.

As always, please let me know if you try out this tutorial. I'd love to see your versions!

34 comments:

  1. Adorable! So perfect for a fun birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable, I can't wait for the new varnishes to come out!

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too cute - I can't believe you actually did them on your own hands!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh these are stunning. I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cupcakes..so I will definitely try it out!! :D

    xx
    http://busyblouse.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh you have so much patience to do that..I barely have the patience to do a single coat! haha very cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome! How long did it take you to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly not that long! It was more just waiting for the polish to dry between steps.

      Delete
  10. This is so cute!!! I love the colors you've chosen and the cherries on top!

    xx Ellie
    www.ellalogy.com 

    ReplyDelete
  11. So yummy looking with the multicoloured sprinkles! Really nice job on this. I always enjoy seeing you do nail posts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Jayne! I would do them more often but all my nail polish is back in Vancouver right now :(

      Delete
  12. oh gosh this is positively adorable haha. my tips are pretty round as well so this would be great for me to try out :) thanks for sharing the tut! being a major sweet tooth I love it to bits haha!

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this tutorial! you make it look so easy!

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute idea!!! Love it
    Kisses
    Elena
    http://dcinstyle.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  15. to bad avons nail polish chips with in a day or two..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, sorry to hear that was your experience! Thankfully this particular mani lasted about 4-5 days with some minor tip wear. I'll have to make sure to use a chip-free topcoat when I use just the polish on its own.

      Delete
  16. These are seriously the cutest things ever! You make it look so easy too... I'm totally going to try it :)

    xoxo Alison
    www.stylingmylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your blog!! Now following you!

    xoxo
    annpaige
    http://annpaigefashion.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look amazing - well done you !

    Joanne

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, those are the CUTEST nails, ever. And they're making me crave cupcakes. Mmmm! Win, win! And thanks for your comment. :) I've always wanted to check out Van Dusen Gardens - I've never been, crazy right?! Hope to see you soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! Way too cute!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is AMAZING! I love it, I don't have the steady hands for it, but wish I did.

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  22. SOOOO CUTE Alison!
    XO
    The Fashionable ESQ
    http://www.thefashionableesq.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMGGGGGGGGGGG DIE! this is like one of the cutest nail tutorials i've ever seen!! sooooooooo freakin' cute!

    omgosh i'm so sorry i have no idea what the lipstick is called.. i'm actually in the US right now.. and i think i left that lipstick in germany because i can't find it in my makeup bag! it's by revlon though!! if i find it i'll let you know the #!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute ! I think I'll try to do my nails like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is super fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Avon has a new Nail Art Enamel that is perfect for creating custom and detailed nail art. It has a specially designed precision brush that is thin and tiny. PERFECT for this idea.

    Here's the link: http://goo.gl/Dr19N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the polishes I used for this tutorial!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.