December 13, 2012

OPI Skyfall Magnetic Lacquer: Morning, Moneypenny

Apparently it's nail polish week here on the blog (check out my cupcake nail art tutorial if you haven't already). This post features Morning, Moneypenny, which is part of the recent OPI Skyfall Magnetic Lacquers Collection. The Skyfall Collection celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the James Bond enterprise and is full of gorgeous colours that are perfect for the holiday season. In addition to the 12 regular polishes, OPI released a set of Pure Lacquer Nail Apps and 3 Magnetic Sets.


Magnetic polishes have been very popular this year but I personally hadn't found any I was too intrigued by. However, when Vervegirl asked me to review this polish, I figured now was as good a time as any to give them a go!

OPI's Magnetic Set is different from a lot of other magnetic polishes I've seen because it includes a unique and easy-to-use plastic magnetizer that you slide your finger into to create the design.


I thought it might be useful to show you guys how the magnetizer works so I've created this quick tutorial. As a note, with magnetic nail polishes, it's best to do one nail at a time since you want to ensure the polish is still wet when you're applying the magnet.

1. Apply two coats of Morning, Moneypenny to the nail.
2. While the polish is still wet, place your finger onto the bottom of the magnetizer with the magnet positioned over the nail. Press the top side down until the edge touches the finger below the cuticle being careful not to touch the nail with the magnet. Hold for 10-12 seconds.
3. Release the magnet and pull it away carefully to reveal the design.


4. Finish off with a top coat since the polish does finish a little gritty.

Interestingly, the design revealed looks more like a chevron pattern as opposed to the picture shown on the magnetizer. I think I actually like the chevron effect more anyway, and I love the extra dimension this polish gives to my nails. Looks like I'll need to pay more attention to magnetics from now on!

24 comments:

  1. holy moly that's awesome!! Love how it's turned out!!!

    <3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty! Perfect for Wintertime too. I still have yet to try a magnetic polish, but I like this color in particular because it looks more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnetic polishes haven't really been on my radar, either - something about them seems somehow gimmicky. But I abosolutely love the shade of Morning, Moneypenny, and the extra dimension that the magnetiser gives it is really pretty :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... I hadn't tried them before because I thought they were a bit gimmicky as well. I think it's all about finding the right colour and magnet pattern.

      xo, alison*elle

      Delete
  4. OMMMMMMMMMMMG i've never seen anything like this! this is sooo badass it's like galaxy print for your nails! i love love that it comes with it's own little magnatizer that is so neat! MUST.TRY.THIS! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know the Skyfall collection had magnetic ones! It looks really pretty!

    Maggie
    lovestylehappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised at how much they released for their holiday collection. Not complaining though ;)

      Delete
  6. wow nail polish is getting so inventive! Love this post

    Amy
    amyxsmiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful polish!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour!!! Great tutorial.

    xoxo
    annpaige
    http://annpaigefashion.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool mani! I haven't tried magnetic nail polish yet!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I did not know this was magnetic - such a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful!! Looks so cool. Need to try! xo, Julie
    www.fromproseccotoplaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!!!

    FASHION CAT
    www.myfashioncat.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! It looks amazing!
    We're following you now on GFC! :-)

    xoxo The Daily Fashion Drug

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I love this coppery color. I have never tried the magnetic nail thing, it looks cool.

    Stop by - I have a giveaway going on open to Canadian bloggers too :)
    XO
    The Fashionable ESQ
    http://www.thefashionableesq.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the nails!! the color is so gorgeous xx

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty color! I've never heard of a magnetizer before so thats super cool too!

    xo Michelle

    Fierce & Fashionable

    ReplyDelete
  17. love that color - so pretty
    Xo Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.