June 15, 2014

Whitening Skincare from Yves Rocher and The Body Shop

I'm no stranger to whitening products, having experimented on and off with various Asian brands over the years. However, a number of western brands have recently expanded their offerings as well. Here's a run-down on a few that I've been trying...

Yves Rocher White Botanical combines two plant extracts, White Licorice powder and White Lupin extract, to aid in dark spot correcting and anti-aging. The line contains 0% parabens, mineral oils, and colorants and boasts "100 % effectiveness." I'm not entirely sold on this claim since the usage test was carried out on only 22 women, and for me personally, I didn't notice much of a difference in my skin (I think this line may be targeted towards a slightly older demographic).


The Exceptional Youth Essence ($56) does nonetheless feel great on the skin, and it is used in accompaniment with the Exceptional Youth Eye Contour ($42) and the Exceptional Youth Cream - Night ($56). For age spots, there is also the Exceptional Youth Dark Spot Corrector ($30) which has a precise applicator tip to target specific areas.

A #1 seller in Asia, The Body Shop has now also brought over their popular Japanese formula, Moisture White Shiso Brightening Serum. Infused with shiso, vitamin C, licorice, and Community Fair Trade aloe vera, the serum is intended to even out the appearance of skin tone.


I inserted this serum into my usual skincare routine but it seems a little too greasy for my oily/combination skin. Also, I have to be honest and say I haven't noticed much "brightening" per se. I feel like I always expect whitening products to be miracle workers and that's never the case. Maybe I just expect too much!

17 comments:

  1. Ah I was wanting to try this product...I think I'll give it a go and see how it feels. I'm always looking for that brightening look too!

    Lindsey x

    www.ropesofholland.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try more things from Yves Rocher. I won't bother with this range if it's not aimed at my age, I've tried their eye make up remover before but didn't really like it.

    Hannah x
    BLAB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their Elixir 7.9 line might be a better choice! I reviewed it a few months ago here.

      Delete
  3. I understand what you mean about Yves Rocher being formulated for an older demographic - my mother is a huge fan of their creams - I think their packaging is very cute but don't use the products myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you mention that! I remember my mom taking me to Yves Rocher when I was a kid. I do think they've managed to create some products that appeal to a younger age range now though.

      Delete
  4. ohh thanks for sharing.. i'm ALWAYS looking to try whitening products ever since i noticed a lot of pigmentation! grr. i'm with you. i think i'm always thinking i'll find some 'magic eraser' that'll just erase my sun spots like i can do on my phone LOLOL!

    www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel a bit let down as well. Maybe it's something that needs to be used for a really really long time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe but I feel like even when I use products for a long time I really haven't noticed any significant difference. If only!

      Delete
  6. aah great honest review. i always rely on exfoliators like liquid gold for making my skintone more even!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Liquid Gold before but I just looked it up... sounds like an amazing product. I'm adding it to my wishlist!

      Delete
  7. I love the Body Shop skincare and this sounds lovely!
    xx

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know much about whitening products, so this was quite the educational read, well done!
    x Justina//abentpieceofwire.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy (and Tasty!) Natural Skin Care
    Turmeric must be cooked with black pepper and oil in order that your body can absorb it properly; it dissolves in oil – not water – and piperine in the pepper increases your body’s ability to absorb the active ingredient, curcumin, by more than a thousand times.
    Read more for skin care →
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you, I think I expect too much out of whitening products too! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the honest review! I don't really see differences with eye creams and serums! Guess it's all psychological ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a friend on a pilgrimage to be as fair as possible so it's interesting to get your (honest) point of view on various whitening products! I wonder how long you need to use the product until you're supposed to see a difference if it actually works!


    Amanda | feast.fashion.faves

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.