December 2, 2014

My Favourite Spa in Vancouver: Miraj Hammam

Earlier this year, I discovered the Miraj Hammam Spa and since then, it has quickly become my favourite spa in Vancouver. My last visit was for some birthday pampering back in September so I was super excited to be invited in for a complimentary treatment last week. Work has been really busy lately so having some "me"-time was much needed. Besides, I should have written about this place a long time ago anyway since I love it so much!


Based on authentic Middle Eastern traditions, Miraj Hammam is not your typical spa experience. For one thing, you must be comfortable being completely naked in front of someone else (the esthetician). Disposable underwear is available but I personally don't use it. All of the employees I've encountered thus far have been nothing but professional and made me feel completely at ease in what could otherwise be an awkward situation.

As for the treatment, you first wrap yourself in a sarong and enter the hammam, which is a steam room that pumps out a refreshing eucalyptus mist to stimulate the senses. After 15 minutes in the hammam, an esthetician takes you to an outer area of the room for the gommage (full-body exfoliation). Using authentic Moroccan black soap made with olive oil and eucalyptus, you are scrubbed from head to toe with specially imported gloves and then rinsed down. It may sound a little weird but it really does leave your skin feeling incredibly soft and supple.


After the gommage, a massage is recommended to add some moisture back to your skin. The masseuses at Miraj Hammam are so great that I have honestly fallen asleep every time from being so relaxed. The relaxation then continues after the massage with some lounge time on comfy velvet beds with silk pillows, magazines, and a cup of hot tea and sweet cakes.


If you are looking for a unique spa experience, I cannot recommend Miraj Hammam enough. Like I said, it's my absolute favourite spot in the city (my friends can attest to how frequently I rave about it) and I am already thinking of my next visit back!

Location: 1495 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
Website: http://www.mirajhammam.com

9 comments:

  1. This sounds so unique and luxurious! How long are you allowed to chill in the comfy room because it would be hard to leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There doesn't seem to be a time limit, at least in my experience. I've stayed as long as half an hour. They seem to just let you relax there on your own!

      Delete
  2. Sounds so relaxing! Too bad I live I live on the other side of the earth loll:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can spare a trip down to Vancouver! ;)

      Delete
  3. Everything about this sounds incredible except for the total nudity haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be weird at first too but honestly you don't even notice! The staff are super professional about everything.

      Delete
  4. I did not think a hammam existed in Vancouver! It sounds luxurious! I don't mind the nudity because I'm sure the staff have seen it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a small location so sometimes you have to book a fair bit in advance. Soooo worth it though!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.