November 8, 2012

LUSH Cosmetics Emotional Brilliance: Glamorous, Perspective, Motivation, and Eyes Right Mascara

Following up on my previous post about LUSH Cosmetics' makeup line, Emotional Brilliance, here is my long overdue review of the products I received at the pre-launch party. Better late than never, right?

First up are my favourite products from the collection: the Liquid Lips. In particular, I am loving Glamorous, which is a wonderful Barbie pink. It reminds me a bit of the MAC x Nicki Minaj lipstick Pink Friday but less pastel or maybe MAC Candy Yum Yum but less neon. Interestingly, my boyfriend, who is not usually a fan of bright lipstick, has told me numerous times that he loves this. I agree; it is a pretty fun colour.


The Liquid Lips are made with jojoba oil, rose wax, and a candellila wax base to soften dry lips. The texture is quite light, almost like a gloss. I do personally find the formula to be a bit on the slippery side, so it's not super long-wearing. Nonetheless, there is a good variety of shades and as an added bonus: all the liquid lipsticks can double as cream blushes!

My second colour, Perspective, is a lovely dusky rose with a slight golden sheen. It's a very wearable everyday shade that I like a lot.


As you can see, all of these products come in recyclable glass "dropper" bottles. I think they're kind of cute/quirky. Some people have complained about the applicators because they seem a bit flimsy, but my colour reader at LUSH told me it's because they are supposed to be interchangeable so you can remove the doe foot applicator from the Liquid Lips and switch in the brush from the Eyeliner. Not sure if I would actually do this myself though...

Next up is the Liquid Eyeliner. I have Motivation, which is a dark peacock blue/teal. I really like the colour because it's bright and pigmented (this can actually be said about all the colours in the Emotional Brilliance line).

Of the Liquid Eyeliners, only two (Independent and Fantasy) have a no-smudge, stay-put formula. The other eyeliners are made with a formula that allows you to blend to create a softer look if you want. While this means you can also wear them as eyeshadows, if you're wanting a simple liner you have to make sure it dries properly or it will smudge.


As someone who doesn't use liquid liner very often (I prefer pencils), I found this product very easy to use. The shorter handle makes it easier to apply, especially if you are making a winged cat eye. The formula is not waterproof but lasts fine all day with some minor flaking towards the very end of the day.

Lastly, I have the Eyes Right Mascara, which I'm wearing in the Motivation swatch picture above. LUSH claims that it's a "gentle mascara that can be worn by those with even the most sensitive eyes." I thought this was odd because this mascara irritated my eyes a ton. Maybe I'm allergic to wheatgrass, which is the key ingredient in this mascara. Aside from the wheatgrass, Eyes Right contains only one preservative (while most mascaras on the market contain between 4-6).


Eyes Right comes with a very short handle that makes it extremely difficult to apply. Furthermore, the formula is not waterproof and it doesn't hold a curl on my straight Asian lashes. All in all, I find this to be a very basic mascara at best and while I like the idea behind the product it unfortunately was a fail for me.

And that's my Emotional Brilliance round-up! The products are kind of pricey ($22.95 CAD for the Liquid Lips and Liquid Eyeliner, $18.95 CAD for the Eyes Right Mascara). However, I think LUSH is filling a much-needed niche for vegan-friendly makeup and the highly pigmented shades at least make it worth a look.

17 comments:

  1. I'm loving the colour of the Perspective lip liquid... I've honestly never been a fan of LUSH; I find the smell so overpowering even from the street that I can never bring myself to step inside. But, that lip colour might just convince me to take the plunge!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable! I didn't think these products were strongly scented, so I think they are well suited for people who typically find LUSH too overpowering.

      Delete
  2. I think it's cool that they're delving into cosmetics..b/c up to now I only knew them as a bath products/skin care company, mainly.
    I love the color of the electric blue liner and I think that both lip colors look really, really pretty on you!
    xx
    The Fashionable ESQ
    http://www.thefashionableesq.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that eyeliner colour!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea LUSH had cosmetics, I'm going to have to check it out! One more stop on the list ;)

    xo, Megan
    indie flower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only introduced the makeup line a few months ago!

      Delete
  5. Amazing post! Love the eyeliner! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog dear! Have a great weekend! Xx

    www.itchyedgy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. really love this selection!
    nice blog

    check out mine and follow if u like it..kiss

    Patchwork à Porter

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowww I just love that blue eyeliner!I have to try it, thanks for the tip!!!!
    Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin and gfc?let me know!
    Have a nice day!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgosh this is insane! didn't even know they had make-up products.. the lipstick in a bottle is pretty mind boggling! the first color is sooo so pretty on you but it's a shame they aren't long wearing because it looks absolutely stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised to hear that you didn't like the Eyes Right mascara. I agree that the wand is too stubby to hold properly, but I love the fact that it seems to "stain" my lashes and keeps them from getting crusty or flaky. It's a great look if you want to go a bit more natural.

    I do have the gold eyeliner, though, and I was wondering whether the golden/sparkly nature of the eyeliner was what was causing the unevenness in the color distribution. Would you say that the eyeliners go on pretty smoothly for you, or do you have to go back over them a few times to make it opaque?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyelashes grow straight and don't hold a curl so most mascaras don't work for me unfortunately (especially if they're not waterproof).

      As for the liners, Motivation applies opaque in one layer. Is Fantasy the one you have? That one does seem slightly more watery to me. Might just be the nature of the lighter colour.

      Delete
    2. Ah, fair enough. Mine tend to stick out instead of up, which can be a pain, but they're fairly long and sometimes I like something that doesn't give me spider eyes.

      Thanks for the information about the liners -- that's probably exactly what it is, since it's slightly glittery/shimmery.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you did this review....I've been wondering how well their make-up applied/stayed/looked..haha
    I love the idea of natural make-up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Don't forget to follow via BlogLovin', Facebook, Instagram,or Twitter

All content and photography © alison*elle. Design By The Sunday Studio.